I found this delicious, raw, vegan recipe in a fabulous book called The Hallelujah Diet by George Malkmus. I wanted to make it right away because I absolutely LOVE shredded RAW sweet potatoes. Yes, I said raw, and yes, you need to just trust me on this one and try it for yourself.
This salad was so refreshing and sweet. It would be a beautiful thing to bring to a summer potluck. Enjoy!
- 3 cups RAW sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded <I only used two sweet potatoes>
- 1 medium sweet apple, peeled and chopped fine <Use a crunchy apple, like a Honeycrisp or Pink Lady>
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped <I used more because I love the crunch>
- 1/4 cup organic raisins or chopped dates <I used dates>
- Holiday Slaw Dressing (recipe below)
In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, apple, pineapple, raisins or dates and pecans. Prepare the Holiday Slaw Dressing. Combine with salad, mix well and place in refrigerator. Let salad chill in the fridge and serve cold.
Holiday Slaw Dressing:
- 1/2 cup vegenaise <I used mayonnaise; but if you use mayonnaise, the salad will not be vegan anymore>
- 1-2 Tbl raw, unfiltered honey
- 2 Tbl lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest