I'm often shocked when I try a recipe that is so easy to make and with so few ingredients, yet tastes so good!! I have to say, these pizza peppers are one of those recipes. And if you follow my blog at all, you know I LOVE a stuffed pepper - I couldn't wait to give these a try!!! The amount of time it took to assemble these was ridiculously quick....I used pre-cooked tubed polenta which really helped. Also, the fresh buffalo mozzerella and fresh Parm were so melt-y and salty and amazing when the peppers came out of the oven - yum!!
This is the perfect meal to make on a weekday night when you have little time to get dinner on the table. **If you want to add protein I think cooked, crumbled Italian chicken sausage would be delicious!
I found this recipe on the blog Vegetarian Ventures (which is AWESOME, btw)....here is her recipe word for word (this recipe makes enough for two adults):
- 3 bell pepper, halved with seeds removed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil + more for greasing
- 9 oz pre-cooked polenta (half a normal size tube) or about 1½ cups homemade, cut into 6 even pieces
- 1½ cups of your favorite tomato sauce <I always use Rao's>
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, divided into 6 equal chunks
- Parmesan, for sprinkling
- Dried oregano, for sprinkling
- Salt / pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. Brush peppers with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle.
- Divide the polenta between the bell pepper halves and use a fork to break the polenta up. Pour ¼ cup tomato sauce into each bell pepper half and top with mozzarella. Sprinkle a healthy helping of Parmesan, oregano, salt, and pepper over the mozzarella.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese on top is browned and bubbling.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve right away.