I really like this UK blog I just discovered called, The Sainsbury Magazine (it might be the US equivolent of Eating Well Magazine???). I'm really eager to check out more recipes! This Mustardy Mushroom Stroganoff was the PERFECT vegetarian dish. I loved the cream of the creme fraiche (I found this in the produce section at Whole Foods) and the tang of the mustard combined. This recipe came together very quickly and I will definitely serve it again. Enjoy!
Here is the recipe straight off the Sainsbury Magazine website (I added the US measurements):
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 oz mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2/3 cup crème fraîche
- 1 Tbl grain mustard
- 2 Tbl chopped tarragon
- 2 handfuls of fresh baby leaf spinach, roughly chopped
- Briefly soften the spring onions in 1 teaspoon of the oil in a medium saucepan. Tip in the rice and cook for 1 minute; add a pinch of salt and 2 cups of boiling water. Stir, pop the lid on, reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, soften the onion in the rest of the oil for 5-6 minutes in a frying pan; add the garlic, mushrooms, seasoning and 2 tablespoons water. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the mushrooms have softened.
- Add the crème fraîche, mustard and most of the tarragon to the mushrooms and heat gently, adding a little water if needed to get a saucy consistency.
- Stir the spinach into the rice and replace the lid for a minute or two until it has wilted.
- Spoon the stroganoff onto a bed of greened-up rice; scatter over the rest of the tarragon.