Sunday, February 20, 2011
Yeehaw! These cowboy cookies are worth hollering about! And let me tell you, so is the dough! Best darn cookie dough I've ever had! Don't try to hold back...let yourself have a little smidge- it's delicious!
2 sticks of butter, room temperature
1/2 c white sugar
1 1/2 c brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 c flour, sifted
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c wheat germ*
2 c oats
1 c coconut
1 1/2 c chocolate chips
1/2 c pecans, chopped
1. Using a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugars together. Add eggs.
2. Add flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into the bowl with creamed sugars. Mix well with the hand mixer.
3. At this point, trade the hand mixer in for a wooden spoon. Add wheat germ and oats. Stir well. Add coconut, chocolate chips and pecans. You need to put a little muscle into it...this cookie dough is thick!
4. Drop by tablespoon onto a lightly greased cookie sheet- two inches apart. I like to use a cookie scooper for consistency.
5. Bake at 350F for 12-13 minutes. I learned a long time ago that cookies taste best when they are slightly undercooked. So, you'll have to judge their "done-ness" for yourself. They should definitely turn a light golden brown.
6. Cool on the tray for 10 minutes before transferring them to a platter.
This recipe makes a ton of cookies. You can easily cut it in half if you just want to make enough for your family.
*If you do not have wheat germ, just substitute it for 1/4 c of flour- giving you a total of 2 cups of flour.