Thursday, February 3, 2011

Yogurt Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips


Some days are just meant for baking banana bread! Especially those days when you find two super ripe bananas sitting on your counter! Yes, I planned on making my go-to banana bread recipe while my kids ate their breakfast. However, my daughter inspired me to jazz it up a bit and create my own recipe after she rejected the banana yogurt I offered her for breakfast. I threw the yogurt and ripe bananas into a mixing bowl and mashed away! Of course she ate the bread! It may have been the chocolate chips that got her, but, I’d like to think it was the yogurt...

2 ripe bananas
4 or 6oz carton of banana flavored yogurt (or any yogurt you have in the fridge- vanilla works great, too)
5 Tbl. of butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. oat bran*
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1/4 c. cinnamon chips (optional- but recommended!)

Mash the bananas and yogurt together. Add the butter and sugars to the banana mixture and beat until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time. Next add the dry ingredients and mix. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour batter into a greased 9X5" loaf pan and bake at 350F for 53-55 minutes. Let bread cool for 20 minutes before removing from the pan. I recommend using a serrated knife to slice! Enjoy!
*If you do not have oat bran, add an extra 1/4 c. flour

1 comment:

  1. I like this twist on my usual "go to" banana bread recipe... I'm going to have to try it out with the browning bananas on my counter. Gotta say, though, it may be the chocolate chips and not the yogurt, that is beckoning to me, too!

    ReplyDelete