Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Bread with Cranberries



Autumn has always been my favorite season! And now that we have moved from Texas to Pennsylvania I feel like I am actually going to get a proper fall! The leaves have already started to change colors here; the weather is bright and crisp. The smell of burning wood is in the air...it’s all just too much for me! I want to bake, bake, bake! This pumpkin bread is the perfect way to welcome in fall! It is so aromatic! Just the smell of it alone, baking away in the oven, is worth the time it takes to make it (which really isn’t much time at all)! This bread makes a great snack or desert. But my children especially love it reheated in the morning with a pat of butter! A delicious way to start the day! Enjoy!

1 1/2 c. all purpose flour*
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 c. sugar
1 c. canned pumpkin (or canned sweet potatoes)
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. real maple syrup
2 Tbl canola oil
1 egg
3/4 c. sweetened dried Craisins, chopped

Preheat oven to 375

In a medium mixing bowl add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk together to combine.

In another mixing bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, buttermilk, syrup, oil and egg. Mix well. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients. Fold in chopped Craisins.
Scrape batter into a greased 9X5 loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 52-54 minutes. Remove loaf from oven. Let sit 25 minutes before removing from pan. Slice with a bread knife and enjoy!

*I use a lot of wheat germ when I bake sweet quick breads like this pumpkin spice loaf. I think it gives my breads a nutty, hearty taste- and it adds health, too. I know most people don’t keep wheat germ in bulk on hand like I do, so, to keep this recipe simple, I called for 1 1/2 c. of all-purpose flour. The way I make it, however, is 3/4 c. all-purpose flour, 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour and 1/4 c. wheat germ.

No comments:

Post a Comment