- 4 large portabello mushroom caps
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3-ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups firmly packed fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 6 oz jar of marinated artichokes, drained and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Tbl pine nuts, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper towel to clean off any dirt. Remove the stems. Use a spoon (I like to use a grapefruit spoon) to take out the black gills of the mushroom. Use your hands to rub oil onto the outside of the mushrooms.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add diced onions and sautee for 5-7 minutes. Add the chopped spinach and sautee for another 3 - 5 minutes, letting the spinach cook down. Stir the onions and spinach together. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together softened cream cheese, sharp cheddar, dried basil, dried oregano, and garlic powder. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Mix until combined. Add the slightly cooled onions and spinach; mix well. Divide cheese mixture between the prepared mushroom caps. Sprinkle 1 Tbl pine nuts, if using, on top of each mushroom.
- Place filled mushrooms in a baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes. Enjoy with a side salad.