Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Cold Sesame Noodles with Veggies


These noodles are incredibly yummy, if I must say so myself!! My daughter says this is her most favorite meal that I make - she cannot get enough!  They are vegan (if you use maple syrup instead of honey), gluten free (if you use tamari, instead of soy sauce) and just plain delicious! I served them with marinated, baked tofu. You could also add chicken and throw all this vegan business right out the window.  Do what you like! Just make sure that you make enough because your family will be coming back for seconds.

This recipe made enough for two adults and three children as a main course. Enjoy!!

Ingredients:
16 oz pad thai rice noodles
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 or 2 medium carrots, shredded
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup shelled edamame

Dressing:
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbl olive oil
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3 Tbl sesame oil
3 to 4 Tbl maple syrup (for vegan) or honey
1/4 cup tamari (for gluten free) or soy sauce
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt, plus more for tasting
1 Tbl black or white sesame seeds (I use black bc I like the contrast in color it gives the dish)
pinch of crushed chilies, optional

Protein (optional):
Marinated and baked tofu OR
Chopped cooked marinated chicken
**If you want to add protein to these noodles, make a little extra dressing and marinate the tofu or chicken in it.  Please do not worry about exact measurements - just splash more of this or extra of that in....you can't mess this dressing up - it's just good no matter what - trust me, this is how I cook all the time - these measurements you see, I do them for you, my dear reader, as a guide....when I make this myself I don't measure anything - I just eyeball and taste, eyeball and taste....it always turns out good!

Instructions:

Cook the pad thai noodles according to the directions on the box. Drain well; drizzle with a little bit of sesame oil to prevent them from sticking together, toss and then set aside.

Add all the dressing ingredients to a medium sized bowl and whisk together until completely blended. 

Place all the shredded, chopped and diced veggies on top of the cooked noodles. Pour the dressing on top. Use tongs to toss and coat.  Taste the noodles and add salt until it is just right. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight - they are great the next day!! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment