Sunday, June 7, 2015

Acai Bowl with Nut Butter & Berries


I am SO obsessed with these acai bowls, that I have eaten one every single day for the past two weeks! I have them for breakfast or lunch....I even made myself one the other night while the rest of my family was eating ice cream.  They are just THAT good!!!!

I recently tried an acai bowl at a juice bar and fell in love. And while I love ordering them at the juice bars I go to, I was craving them on a daily bases. So, I set out to recreate them at home. I'm pleased to say I have come pretty close to replicating the bowls.

The acai berries are hard to find at regular grocery stores. But, leave it to Whole Foods to have them front and center in their frozen berry section. The last time I was there I bought three packets of them to last me for the week. Acai berries are a powerhouse of anti-oxidants (as are blueberries).  The hemp seeds are packed with protein and the banana gives potassium, iron and vitamin A. Oh and that raw shredded coconut provides you with plenty of fiber and good, healthy fat.

Take the time to unpeel and freeze your ripe bananas.....it gives the base a thicker, less soupy, consistency.

Please let me know what you think of my Acai Bowl!!! I turned my neighbor, Shannon, on to these and she's as addicted as I am.

Base:
2 packets of frozen acai berries
1 ripe frozen banana
1 Tbl honey

Toppings:
Any nut butter: peanut, almond, sunflower, etc
Frozen blueberries, blackberries or strawberries
Banana, cut up
Granola (gluten-free if needed)
Unsweetened shredded coconut
Hemp seeds

Blend frozen acai berries with frozen banana and honey in a high power blender until completely blended (this may take two cycles). The fruit base should be thick and cold, almost like a sorbet.

Pour base into a bowl and top with whatever you like. My favorite is lots of almond butter, gluten-free granola, hemp seeds, shredded coconut and frozen blueberries. You will love this acai bowl so much that you will have many opportunites to try lots of different topping combinations. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment