Monday, September 14, 2015

Banana Carrot & Apple Bread


When I see two ripe bananas sitting on my counter on a Sunday morning I know they are telling me it's time to make banana bread. But I made banana bread last week and the week before.....so, I wanted to shake it up a bit. I added a shredded carrot and grated apple. The results were super yummy and I had to share. I think I may have a record for number of banana bread posts on my blog. But I can't and I won't stop....all varieties are just so good!! Enjoy!

***PLEASE note I made this bread gluten free by substituting the exact amount of Cup 4 Cup flour for the all-purpose flour. The results were delicious!!
  • 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup ground flax seed
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2  tsp nutmeg
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 carrots, grated
  • 1 medium apple, grated with skin
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup coconut sugar (brown sugar if you don't have coconut)
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil (in liquid form)
  • 1/3 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
For the vanilla yogurt glaze, optional
  • 1/3 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • a little water for thinning
Instructions
Oven to 350F

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the white flour, ground flax seed, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and ground cinnamon.
 
In a larger mixing bowl, stir together the mashed bananas, sugar, egg, 1/2 cup yogurt and vanilla. Add grated carrots, grated apple, and melted coconut oil until well combined. Slowly add in dry mixture. Mix until just combined.
 
Fold in the shredded coconut and chopped walnuts, if using.
 
Bake for 45 - 48 minutes. Remove from oven and allow bread to cool in the loaf pan for an hour.  

Once the bread has cooled, remove from pan and slice. 
 
To make the yogurt glaze, whisk together the 1/3 cup vanilla yogurt and powdered sugar in a small bowl until smooth. Add a little water if needed to thin.  Drizzle over top of the banana bread. Slice and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This is in the oven now! It smells so good... and I'm happy that it doesn't have a ton of sugar in it like most breads (although I love sweets ; ). I greased the pan, not sure if it was necessary but if not, hopefully it won't hurt. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete