Sunday, May 17, 2015

Fully Loaded Breakfast Cookies


Navy bean puree in cookies?!?! I hadn't been this intrigued over a strange ingredient in a recipe in quite awhile..... My mom sent me this recipe from the cookbook My New Roots and I literally made it two hours later....I HAD to try these out STAT!!!! And you know what, they are really good!!!! The ingredients are so basic and yet, they have a complex flavor and are hearty enough to curb snack cravings. I like them for a quick breakfast and they are great post workout.

I changed the ingredients slightly to suit my family's tastes. I substituted the apricots, raisins and pumpkin seeds for Enjoy Life dairy, nut & soy-free chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. I also didn't have cornflakes, so I substituted them with One Degree's Sprouted Rice Crisps.

Here is My New Roots recipe:

1 tablespoon chia seeds
3 1⁄4 cups gluten-free rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1⁄2 cups cooked white beans, such as navy, white kidney, or Great Northern (about one 15-ounce can)
1⁄4 cup coconut oil, melted
1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup or raw honey
Grated zest of 1 organic orange
1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄3 cup chopped unsulfured dried apricots <I used mini dairy-free chocolate chips instead>
1⁄4 cup raisins <I omitted>
1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds <I substituted chopped walnuts>
2 cups organic, non-GMO cornflakes <I substituted One Degree Brown Rice Crisps>

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.

Combine the chia seeds with 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl, and set aside for 15 minutes to gel.

Pulse 1 1⁄4 cups of the oats in a food processor until they resemble a very rough flour. Transfer the flour to a large mixing bowl and whisk in the remaining 2 cups oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.

Pulse the beans with the coconut oil in the food processor until the mixture is creamy. Add the maple syrup, orange zest, chia gel, applesauce, and vanilla extract, and pulse until smooth.

Pour the bean puree over the oats mixture and stir until everything starts to come together. Add the apricots, raisins, pumpkin seeds, and cornflakes and stir to combine—you may need to use your hands at this point.

Shape the dough into 10 equal balls, and then flatten each one into a patty shape. Transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until the bars are golden. Let cool completely before enjoying. The bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.

No comments:

Post a Comment