Monday, August 17, 2015

Chilled Oatmeal with Yogurt, Berries & Honeycomb


Over the weekend my family and I ate brunch at a really swank hotel at the beach. I ordered the most delicious chilled oatmeal - it was heavenly!!! I told my family right then and there I'm blogging this as soon as we get home!!!!

I'm not a big breakfast eater (and this dish is very very filling) so I ate it today for lunch. Even though I couldn't finish the whole bowl, I enjoyed every single bite. I really think I nailed this one - it tastes exactly like the chilled oatmeal I was served. When I brought it to the table today my son said, "Mom, are you gonna blog that? Because you really need to take a picture of it! It's so pretty." That got me thinking that this is definitely a company-worthy meal and you probably should serve it at your next brunch! And it seriously would have looked adorable layered in a mason jar!!! AGH! I thought of that too late. Ha!

I made the oats last night. It was quick and easy and required zero cooking. I love soaking oats (instead of cooking them) because they don't get "gummy" and I really don't like gooey, sticky oatmeal. If you forget to soak your oats overnight, I think two hours will suffice.

Enjoy!!

1 cup dry oats (I used Love Grown Foods Super Oats- I'm obsessed with these!)
1 cup almond milk or dairy milk
1 or 2 tsp pure maple syrup, optional

Vanilla, honey or berry yogurt, I like Greek yogurt
Toasted almond slices, or walnuts or pecans
Raw coconut or toasted sweet coconut (which isn't as healthy, but it tastes good)
Hemp seed, optional
Fresh berries, optional but recommended
Honeycomb (wow do I love honeycomb!!) or honey
Dried fruits or raisins, optional

Place dry oats, milk and pure maple syrup (if using) in a Tupperware container. Mix together and then refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.

Once the oats are ready, layer them in a bowl (or mason jar for extra cuteness if you are entertaining) with a couple spoonfuls of yogurt on top. Next add any other toppings you like. I used almond slices, raw coconut, hemp seed, honeycomb (and then I drizzled more honey over the top) and raspberries.  Just tailor it to your own likes.

**If you are entertaining, you could set up a bar where people choose their own toppings - how fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment