Sunday, December 10, 2017

Peanut Butter Blossoms with Hershey's Kisses


This recipe is definitely an "oldie" but it still reigns as a "goodie, goodie, goodie" in my book.  My boys were asked to bring in cookies for all the middle school teachers this week....I was about to make my go to chocolate chip cookies, but decided to be a little more festive and make these Peanut Butter Blossoms with Hershey's Kisses.  I'm not sure why this cookie is always associated with Christmastime, but it definitely brings up great memories for me as a child during the holidays.

I made the dough a day in advance (I do this often when I have the time and know I will be busy the night before the cookies actually need to be baked). But chilling your cookie dough for at least an hour (and in my case, one whole day) actually gives you a better tasting cookie. The science behind it has to do with the fat in the chilled cookie dough taking longer to melt while it's cooking...this helps the cookies to spread less during baking. Further, the cookies become more golden as they bake and their flavor more pronounced.  Doubts? Google it!

Anyway, I always chill my dough - it really does make the cookies taste better! 

This recipe is old school Betty Crocker- here it is word for word:

Ingredients

1/2  cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg 
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Additional granulated sugar
About 36 Hershey's Kisses milk chocolates, unwrapped 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375F 

In large bowl, beat 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, peanut butter, butter and egg with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon, until well blended. Stir in flour, baking soda and baking powder until dough forms.
 
Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in additional granulated sugar. On ungreased cookie sheets, place about 2 inches apart. 

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Immediately press 1 milk chocolate candy in center of each cookie. Remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment