Saturday, December 23, 2017

Soft Chewy Molasses Cookies


I have been in full-blown Christmas cookie baking mode the last few days.....I have been making the dough, scooping it, and freezing it so that on Christmas Eve all I will have to do is pop the dough balls into the oven, bake and VOILA! A wide array of delicious cookies to bring to our Christmas Evening Festivities!

Along with the usual sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookies (I have been told by many people "these chocolate chip cookies are the best I've ever had and where can they get the recipe?" and I usually say, "the back of the Toll House bag!" because that's the simple truth.....but I do tell them, as I always tell you all, that I chill the dough for at least three hours......so I'll say it again, please chill your cookie dough! Google the science of why!), I am also bringing the Double Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Cookies that I blogged the other day, and then these, Soft Chewy Molasses Cookies. They are really delicious and have that distinct gingerbread taste that we all love so much during the holidays.  I am all for a crisp gingersnap, but I really do prefer soft molasses cookies and this recipe definitely delivers flavor and chewiness all in one.

I scoured Pinterest looking for a recipe that didn't involve using shortening (aka Crisco, YUCK!).....it was hard to find....but I did! This recipe comes from the blog Great Grub, Delicious Treats. It is shortening-free and completely delectable!

And now my holiday baking is complete!

Here is Great Grub, Delicious Treat's recipe word for word:
 
Ingredients
  • 1 cup organic sugar
  • 3/4 cup butter softened
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 egg cage free
  • 2 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • Sugar for coating optional
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375°.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar, butter and molasses together.
  3. Beat in egg until light and fluffy.
  4. Mix in flour <I sifted my flour>, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger, cloves and nutmeg together until well combined.
  5. Cover dough and refrigerate for about an hour. This makes handling the dough much easier.
  6. Roll dough into 1 - 1 1/2 in balls.
  7. Roll each ball in sugar to coat.
    <And this is the time when I chill my cookie dough. Sometimes I chill it overnight, but you really should chill it for at least 1 to 3 hours. Google the science of why chilled cookies look and taste better>
  8. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
  9. Bake for 10-12 minutes. <I baked mine for 9 1/2 minutes>
  10. Remove from oven and let sit for 1 minute before removing cookies and placing on wire rack to cool.
  11. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment