Oh My GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!! I literally INHALED these tonight!!! INHALED, I tell you!! These potatoes are so incredibly decadent, scrumptious, delicious!! Make these for dinner STAT! Your family will be so glad you did! Oh, and if you love pine nuts and kalmata olives- add them!! Total icing on the cake! Enjoy!!
Recipe from Eating Well magazine:
*I only used two potatoes, yet I did not cut the rest of the ingredients in half. It made the perfect amount for two adults for dinner.
- 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 pound fresh spinach, finely chopped <I used fresh> OR 4 cups frozen chopped spinach (thawed)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat cream cheese <I used full fat>
- 3/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- <I added a few tablespoons of pine nuts - SOO good!!>
- <I also added chopped kalmata olives to my potatoes - SOOO good!!!!>
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pierce potatoes in several places with a fork. Bake directly on the center rack until tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 2 to 4 minutes. Add spinach, garlic and oregano; cook, stirring, until hot, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Cut the potatoes in half and scoop the insides into a bowl. Place the skins in a 9-by-13-inch pan. Add cream cheese, pepper and salt to the bowl. Beat with a hand mixer or mash with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in the spinach mixture and 1/2 cup feta. Stuff each potato skin with about 3/4 cup of the filling. Top each with 1 tablespoon of the remaining feta <and pine nuts and/or kalmata olives, if using>.
- Bake until the filling is steaming and the feta is browned, 25 to 35 minutes.