Sunday, October 6, 2024

The BEST Vegan Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting

Oh boy is this cake delicious! It is extremely moist, full of flavor and I don't think anyone would believe it is egg and dairy free. The key is using the right vegan butter (that helps the frosting set so well).  I love Country Crock Plant Butter with Avocado Oil for my vegan baking - I have tried EVERY vegan butter while baking and this one mimics real butter the best, in my opinion. I also think the type of plant milk you use in really important. I like to bake with a creamy oat milk because it is thick like dairy whole milk. It also has a pretty neutral flavor. You can try any plant milk you like, but I do not recommend using a different plant butter. 

This cake is my vegan take on the recipe on the back of the Hershey Cocoa Powder box. I just substituted plant-based where needed. And I ALWAYS use coffee instead of water when making any chocolate cake. That's a great baking tip for you! 

Enjoy!

Chocolate Cake:

  • 2 cups organic white sugar
  • 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
  • ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted if necessary
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup plant milk (I like Planet Oat milk, barista style, because it's so creamy)
  • ½ cup canola oil
  • 2 flax eggs (4 Tbl ground flax + 5 Tbl water)
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup hot, freshly brewed coffee

Chocolate Frosting:

  • 4 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ cup plant milk (again, I like Planet Oat milk)
  • 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • ¾ cup plant butter, at room temperature (I strongly suggest using Country Crock Plant Butter with Avocado Oil - please use this if you can find it- I have used many other vegan butters and this one sets so nicely and holds it's shape) 

Directions:

Prep your pans by generously spraying two 8" rounds. I also like to line the bottom with a cut out piece of parchment paper. 

Set oven to 350F 

Make flax eggs by mixing the ground flax seed and water together in a small bowl. Set aside for 10 min to thicken (this will mimic the texture of eggs). 

In a medium bowl whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 

In another large bowl whisk together plant milk, canola oil, prepped flax eggs, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, a little at a time. Mix after each addition. Once wet and dry are combined, add the coffee and stir. Mix until smooth. 

Evenly divide the cake batter to prepared pans. Bake for about 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. I baked mine for 52 min and they were perfectly moist. 

Let the cakes cool completely before turning them out. Turn them out onto a surface/cutting board lined with parchment paper; they might stick to the board, otherwise. I let mine cool for a couple of hours. 

To make the chocolate frosting combine all frosting ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer until completely combined and frosting is firm enough to stand on its own. If you use any other butter than what I have suggested, I cannot guarantee that your frosting will set and hold its shape as beautifully as mine did. 

When ready to frost the cakes, line the edges of a cake plate with parchment strips (this makes for easy clean up after you cake has been iced - it will catch all the crumbs and frosting drips). 
Here is a quick video demonstrating how to....click here

Place one of the cakes on the parchment strips and add a large dollop of frosting. Smooth evenly. Place the second cake on top of the frosting. Add the rest of the frosting to the top and sides of the cake and smooth out evenly. Carefully remove the parchment strips. 

Decorate this cake however you like! Fresh berries, sprinkles, or keep it plain and simple like I did! The star of this cake is the taste, so I didn't feel like I needed to get fancy. 

Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment