Monday, September 18, 2017

Mushroom & Hummus Soup with Rice


Oh my goodness, hummus in soup??? YES! And it is SOOOO good!!! When I came across this recipe on the Food Network website I knew I had to make it immediately. The ingredients and steps were simple, it has no cream in it (yet it's creamy), it's full of flavor, and it's filling -  it's a win-win-win! After reading some of the comments on their website, I decided to add cooked rice....definitely add the rice! I also decided to skip the lemon juice and only added lemon zest to the yogurt topping - I think this was a smart move, as well. Finally, I don't care for thyme much, so I did what I always do when a recipe calls for thyme, I used sage instead - it was great! I really loved the yogurt topping, but I think I might sub sour cream next time I make this for an even creamier topping.....just an idea!

I served this yummy soup with my Fennel & Apple Salad and a side of crusty bread. Enjoy!

Here is the recipe (with my changes in italics) from the Food Network:

Soup Ingredients:

  • <I used a combo of baby bellos and button mushrooms>
  • , to taste
  • <I used regular white wine>
  • <I used 6 chopped sage leaves instead of thyme>
  •  
  • 1 1/2 cups of cooked brown rice <my own addition, but highly recommended>
 Yogurt Topping: 

Directions

Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the madeira wine and cook 2 minutes, scraping up any browned bits. Add the broth and thyme; simmer gently, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.

Discard the thyme sprigs (if using the sage like I did, do not discard). Stir the hummus into the soup. Transfer half of the soup to a blender and puree (remove the filler cap to let steam escape), then return to the saucepan and simmer 15 more minutes. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper. Mix the lemon zest, parsley, scallions and Greek yogurt in a small bowl. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the yogurt and lemon-parsley mixture. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful article. thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here.
    Magic Mushrooms Dispensary

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you freeze this? how long last in refrigerator? sounds good to me but don't think hubby will like it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! Classic Magic Mushrooms

    ReplyDelete