Saturday, March 5, 2011

Thin Mint Cookie Ice Cream


It’s Girl Scout cookie time! Every year I look forward to getting my boxes of cookies that I lovingly order to support my Girl Scout cookie addiction...er...um...I mean the Girl Scouts! And two weeks ago, those coveted boxes arrived on my doorstop! In my family we all have our favorites. I LOVE Tagalongs, my husband is partial to the Do-Si-Dos, and of course, my kids like the shortbread cookies. But, we all agree that the Thin Mints are truly the best of the lot! For the past five years, I have taken one sleeve of our beloved Thin Mints, crushed them to a pulp and then proceeded to make a scrumptiously good homemade ice cream with them! Yes, it’s decadant, but, it’s a once a year treat that we all look forward to!

I start with Ben & Jerry’s sweet cream base and then add to it. Yes, Ben & Jerry’s has an ice cream cookbook and of course, I own it! It’s fab! It’ll have you hauling out your ice cream maker all summer long!

Okay, so the cream base I use has eggs in it. Eggs make for a creamier ice cream and I’m all about texture! If you don’t care for using eggs, then just omit them. But remember, I cannot be held accountable for your non-egg ice cream! ;)

2 large eggs
3/4 c. sugar
2 c. heavy or whipping cream
1 c. whole milk
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 sleeve of Thin Mints, crushed

Get out your ice cream maker! Freeze can according to your machine’s directions.

Whisk eggs in a mixing bowl until light & fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a 1/4 c at a time. Continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream, milk & extract and whisk to blend.

Add ice cream mixture to your ice cream makers’ can and continue according to your ice cream machine’s instructions. On mine, I time it for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, I add the crushed cookies and continue to run the machine for another 3 minutes (just so the cookies are incorporated into the ice cream).

Transfer ice cream to a freezer safe container (but, make sure you try a giant spoonful first- oh yum!). Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment