Monday, May 16, 2011

Hello Dolly Bars



I was in a baking mood today, so I whipped these scrumptious bars up in a flash. Thankfully I had all the ingredients in my cupboard (I’m not joking when I tell you I always keep a spare can of sweetened condensed milk on hand because, well, you just never know!)...

My kids love these, my husband’s co-workers love these, my neighbors love these, oh, gosh, everyone does! They are just that good! Omit the pecans if you don’t like nuts or sub them out for walnuts. Don’t have cinnamon chips? Use white or peanut butter instead; don’t have marshmallows, no biggie, leave them out...really you can’t go wrong!

1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
6 Tbl butter
9 graham crackers (one sleeve), crushed finely
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. butterscotch chips
1/2 c. cinnamon chips
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup mini marshmallows (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F

Line a 13X9” baking pan with parchment paper or foil so that it is hanging over the edge on all sides (you will need two pieces of parchment paper or foil) and spray with baking spray. Put butter in the pan and let melt in the oven for approx. 5-6 minutes.



To toast coconut, spread onto baking sheet and cook for 8 minutes at 350F

After butter has melted, removed from pan and sprinkle graham cracker crumbs all over the melted butter. Toss lightly until all the butter is absorbed. Distribute buttery crumbs to the bottom of the pan to form the crust (I use my fingertips to get it even).

Now it’s time to layer on the goodies! Sprinkle on pecans, then chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and cinnamon chips. Next sprinkle on toasted coconut and finally drizzle sweetened condensed milk evenly over the entire dish.



Bake for 21-23 minutes until golden brown and remove from oven. Immediately sprinkle 1 cup of mini marshmallows (if using) over the dish. Return pan to the oven for one extra minute then remove bars. Cool until bars are room temperature, about 2 hours. Once room temp, use the over-hanging parchment paper or foil to pull bars out and onto a cutting board. Cut bars into 2 X 3 pieces using a sharp knife. Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment