Thursday, July 30, 2015

Tropical Smoothie Bowl


This morning I told my kids they could eat the apple cider donuts we brought home from the county fair last night for breakfast.  My 5 year old daughter said, "Mom, I'd rather have a smoothie bowl. Can you make me one?"  Wow, that was a proud moment!! Smoothie bowls over donuts? YES!! So, while my sons munched away on donuts (and they really did look amazing!), my daughter and I had one of my tropical smoothie bowls. And believe me, it was every bit as satisfying!!!

I don't always get the chance to prep my smoothie bowls (and I use fruit that isn't frozen- it still tastes great, but the texture is better when everything is frozen). If you are able, put the cut up fresh fruit in the freezer in a tupperware over night. It definitely streamlines the whole process for you when you are ready to make the smoothie bowl the next day. 

Smoothie bowls deliver raw enzymes, fiber and protein that will keep you feeling full and satisfied for hours and hours. They are a great way to start the day or as a lunch that will get you through to dinner no problem. 

Enjoy!

Base:
1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
1 ripe frozen banana
1/2 frozen pineapple
1 large handful of spinach (optional)
1 Tbl honey or pure maple syrup (optional)

Toppings - try any combo of these:
Any nut butter: peanut, almond, sunflower, etc
Frozen blueberries, blackberries or strawberries
Banana, cut up
Granola (gluten-free if needed)
Unsweetened shredded coconut
Toasted coconut chips (Dang brand is my favorite)
Hemp seeds
Sliced almonds

Blend frozen mango chunks. frozen banana, frozen pineapple and spinach and/or honey (if using) in a high power blender until completely blended (this may take two cycles). The fruit base should be thick and cold, almost like a sorbet.

Pour base into a bowl and top with whatever you like. My favorite is lots of almond butter, gluten-free granola, hemp seeds, and shredded coconut. Eat right away! Enjoy!!

1 comment: