With the snow lightly falling outside, a fire blazing, and Christmas music blaring on the radio, this was the perfect morning to whip up these easy, festive cookies with the kids! Their favorite part was crushing the candy canes to sprinkle on top!
I found the recipe on the blog Cakes Cottage.
Here is the recipe word for word:
- COOKIE :
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-1½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup candy canes or hard peppermint candy, crushed
- Combine butter, powdered sugar and peppermint extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. In a separate bowl, combine flour and cornstarch.
- Gradually add to creamed mixture and beat at low speed until well mixed.
- Cover and refrigerate until firm at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls, and place it 2 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, milk and peppermint extract and beat until smooth.
- Spread over cooled cookies and immediately sprinkle with crushed candies.
- Store in an airtight container.
- This recipe makes approx 18 cookies