Saturday, February 26, 2011

Eat Your Veggies Stir Fry



I keep a little “Kelly’s wants” list going in my day planner...things I don’t really need, but, would make great anniversary/birthday/Christmas gifts. After making this dish the other night I promptly add “wok” to it. I don’t have one, I don’t necessarily need one (afterall, I only cook stir fry a handful of times a year), but, it would be nice to add one to my arsenal of baking/cooking supplies!

The key to making a yummy stir-fry is to use cold rice (it’s a texture thing!)...So, this is a great way to use up some left-over rice! Or if you’re making rice on the same day of the stir fry, do so hours before so it has time to get cold in the refrigerator.

4 cups of cooked cold brown rice
1 1/2 Tbl canola oil
1 c. onion, chopped
1 Tbl garlic, minced
1/2 c. green beans, cut into 1” pieces
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 c. broccoli, chopped
1/2 - 1 c. diced ham (I use a ham steak)
1/4 c. soy sauce
2 1/2 tsp dark sesame oil
A couple handfuls of dry roasted peanuts (optional)



1. Cook rice accordingly to directions (for added flavor I substitute the cooking water for chicken or vegetable broth). Set rice aside and let completely cool in the refrigerator for hours.
2. Heat a large pan (or wok) over high heat. Add canola oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Add chopped onion and garlic; stir fry for one minute. Add diced ham. Cook for two minutes- until it starts to brown. Add beans, peppers & broccoli. Stir fry another two minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add the cold rice; stir fry for two minutes, incorporating rice into veggie mixture. Add soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir fry another minute or two.
Plate fried rice. Sprinkle with dry roasted peanuts (we use a lot!). Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I'm terrible at Asian cooking, and had no idea cold rice helped keep the firmness. I'll be using this trick - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you added the nuts! Very kid (and husband) friendly!

    ReplyDelete