Monday, September 3, 2012

Forgotten Chicken


I saw this recipe floating around Pinterest and I had to try it! If ever I have posted an easy, simple dish to make, this is it, folks! The prep time was around eight minutes. Then you put the chicken in the oven and forget about it for three hours while it cooks itself. The chicken turns out very tender and moist, while the rice is creamy AND crunchy (the top layer gets a good crunch while cooking). As a bonus, I had one whole chicken breast left over. So, I shredded it (it shredded beautifully), added some mayo and voila, I had the makings for a chicken salad sandwich the next day that fed both my husband and myself (I used pretty large chicken breasts!).
Please pass this on to all the mothers you know who have little time to cook! You can serve this with a side salad or a veggie like broccoli. And don't forget the crusty bread! Enjoy!

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and pounded if you like (I always pound my chicken for extra tenderness)
  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can of cream of celery soup
  • 2 cans of water
  • 2 cups uncooked Minute Rice (I used brown. You can use brown or white rice) 
  • 1 package of onion soup mix
Preheat oven between 250F and 275F (I did 265F)

In a medium sized bowl, mix cream of chicken soup, cream of celery soup, two cans of water and two cups of uncooked minute rice together.

Spread rice/soup mixture in the bottom of a 9X13 glass baking dish that has been sprayed with PAM. Place the chicken breasts on top of the rice/soup mixture (do not overlap). Sprinkle the chicken evenly with the onion soup mix.

Cover with foil. Cook for 2 hours. Remove foil. Cook for an additional hour. That's it! Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment