Saturday, December 2, 2017

Holiday Spiced Warm Almond Milk


I have never been a coffee drinker and over the years I have dabbled in tea.....I think I WANT to like tea more than I actually do.....and maybe I just want to also be holding a mug of something warm and toasty while everyone else sips their lattes and coffees. I do like warm chai lattes - but the truth is they are so caloric that I just don't drink them very often. Enter this super easy Holiday Spiced Warm Milk. It is inspired by a similar blend I tried this week at one of my favorite neighborhood organic grocers. It is satisfyingly warm on this brisk December morning, has all the flavors of the Christmas season, and has much less calories than a chai latte from Starbucks. My kids just tried it and they were in love. I probably should have doubled the recipe to make them a cup too.....next time, kids....this mug is for moi!

This glass of warm spiced milk is also full of health benefits. Protein and calcium from the almond milk, anti-inflammatory properties from the cinnamon, ginger & turmeric, and cardamom helps with digestion.  A little spice goes a long way....but the health (and flavor) benefits are great!

I drank mine with a Gingerbread Muffin (click for recipe).... a delicious mid-morning breakfast (and I think I might have another mug before bed tonight). Enjoy!

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk if you have an allergy)
1 Tbl raw honey or pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ginger
Less than 1/8 tsp cardamon (optional) - just the tiniest pinch, as this has a strong flavor

Place all ingredients into a small saucepan. Warm over low heat until desired temperature.

Alternatively, place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Drink cold or warm in the microwave. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment