Thursday, March 28, 2013

Chicken with Pepperoni-Marinara Sauce


This Cooking Light recipe is TO DIE FOR!! I mean, really, it is delicious!!!! The bonus was it was crazy easy to prepare AND the second bonus was my whole family loved it- including the kiddos!!! I'm really excited to share it with you......I think after trying this meal you will definitely add it to your recipe rotation!!

I used only two large chicken breasts - I sliced them horizontally to get two pieces out of each breast giving me four pieces of chicken total.  I really like doing this because it stretches the meat (my husband only ate one piece and was full) and it also decreases cooking time (I often find it hard to gauge how long to cook a thick chicken breast). I served the chicken over angel hair pasta. Delish!

2 tsp olive oil
2 chicken breasts (sliced horizontally to give you four thin breasts)
1 tsp garlic, minced
16 slices pepperoni, coarsely chopped (I used 10 thickly sliced pieces of pepperoni from the deli counter)
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2  to 2 cups good quality jarred marinara (I always use Rao's pasta sauces)
2 Tbl chopped fresh basil
1 cup shredded mozzerella cheese

 Preheat broiler to high

Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet; cook 4 minutes on each side (this, of course, is if you sliced your chicken breasts horizontally and they are thin......if you didn't, you will need to cook longer). Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.

Add garlic and pepperoni to the same skillet you just cooked the chicken in. Cook for two minutes or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently. Add oregano; cook 30 seconds. Add marinara sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in basil.

Return cooked chicken to the skillet. Nestle the chicken down into the sauce and spoon sauce over chicken. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with fresh angel hair pasta on the side. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment