Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Oh She Glow's Homemade Yolos


So, today I popped over to my girlfriend, Shanna's, house for a quick visit.  Not only did she give me a giant brussel sprouts salad, but her sweet mother whipped me up a kale smoothie (Thanks, Deb!!! It really did give me a great energy boost for the rest of the day!). Shanna and I are constantly sharing healthy foods and recipes with each other.  One vegan blogger we are obsessed with is Angela Liddon over at Oh She Glows.  Her brand new cookbook, The Oh She Glows Cookbook, is seriously to die for and you must must must check it out!  Anyway, Shanna asked me if I have made this gal's Rolo knock-offs (made with dates) yet because she just did yesterday and they are amazing. Of course, not being satisfied with ONLY getting a salad AND a smoothie, I asked her if I can have one (actually,  I kind-of demanded one, because, I'm all about taste-testing a homemade Rolo). Shanna points over to her sweet, beautiful kids sitting at the table, fresh homemade yolos all over their mouths, and says they just gobbled the last of them up! Darn!

So, of course, I had to try these out for myself immediately.  When I was making these the kids asked me what I was doing....I said, "Oh, I'm just making Rolos from scratch." They got all excited and couldn't wait for me to finish with them. All three gave them a big thumbs up!! And they totally bought my fib that they were candy! Ha!  I swear, these little gems are Oh So TASTY!!! I had to tell myself "NO MORE" after five of them in a row. Crazy, crazy yummy!!!!

Give them a whirl!!! I think you will love them! Thanks for the heads-up, Shanna!!

This recipe comes directly from the OhSheGlows.com website:

for the caramel
  • 200 grams pitted soft Medjool dates (about 11 large)
  • 1/2 tbsp peanut butter (or other nut or seed butter)
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt
for the chocolate coating
  • scant 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
for garnish
  • chia seeds (optional)
Instructions:

1. [Note: You want to use very soft Medjool dates. If yours are firm, soak in water to soften before using. Be sure to drain well.] Process pitted dates in food processor until a sticky paste forms. Now, add in the nut or seed butter along with a pinch of fine grain sea salt. Process until combined. The mixture will be SUPER sticky, but this is a good thing!

2. Scoop out the sticky mixture into a bowl and freeze for about 10 minutes. Chilling it makes the caramel easier to shape into balls. After chilling, lightly wet your fingers and shape caramel into small balls to make about 18 balls total.

3. Place balls back into the freezer for another 10 minutes on a parchment lined plate. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips along with 1 teaspoon coconut oil on the stove top over low heat. When 2/3 of the chips are melted, remove from heat and stir until everything is melted. <I melted the chips and coconut oil in the microwave>

4. Remove balls from freezer and dunk each ball into the melted chocolate, one at a time. Roll around to coat. Tap off excess chocolate and place back onto parchment-lined plate. Sprinkle with chia seeds (optional) and stick a toothpick into each. Repeat for the rest.

5. Freeze again for at least 20 minutes until set. Bites taste best straight from the freezer and will soften (but will not melt) at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment