HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!! Oh, I think I have found it! Yes, I have! The most perfect gluten free banana bread recipe ever! Yep, I said it and I believe it with my whole heart! This banana bread has zero gluten in it, zero butter, no refined sugar and tastes like the real deal - it'll give any gluten-filled banana bread a run for its money. I'm always feeling left out of eating baked goods (being gluten free and all).....but now that I have this in my arsenal, I see many yummy days ahead! I am always leary of using gluten-free flours as substitutes in regular recipes - many GF flours have a funky taste and so many of them are almost all tapioca and cornstarch!! So, when I saw that this recipe from the blog, Live Simply, uses ONLY almond meal, I got VERY excited to try it. And it did not disappoint - not one bit.
**If you can't find almond meal, you can make your own by finely grinding raw almonds in the food processor.
Here is the recipe straight from Live Simply:
- 2½ cups blanched almond flour <I used Bob's Red Mill>
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon good-quality salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup whole milk yogurt <I used 1/3 cup sour cream>
- 2-3 very ripe bananas, mashed <I used 3 small-ish bananas>
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts <I omitted the walnuts and used 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips>
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a loaf pan with butter or coconut oil.
- In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients: almond flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs. Add in the honey, yogurt, mashed bananas, and vanilla. Whisk together until combined.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined. Fold in the chopped walnuts <or chocolate chips>.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes <I baked it for 61 minutes, but I checked it at 50 and 56 minutes> until the center is firm.
- Allow to cool. Remove from pan.
- Slice and enjoy!