Monday, January 4, 2016

Almond Flour Banana Bread - Gluten Free!


HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!! Oh, I think I have found it! Yes, I have! The most perfect gluten free banana bread recipe ever! Yep, I said it and I believe it with my whole heart! This banana bread has zero gluten in it, zero butter, no refined sugar and tastes like the real deal - it'll give any gluten-filled banana bread a run for its money.  I'm always feeling left out of eating baked goods (being gluten free and all).....but now that I have this in my arsenal, I see many yummy days ahead! I am always leary of using gluten-free flours as substitutes in regular recipes - many GF flours have a funky taste and so many of them are almost all tapioca and cornstarch!! So, when I saw that this recipe from the blog, Live Simply, uses ONLY almond meal, I got VERY excited to try it. And it did not disappoint - not one bit.

**If you can't find almond meal, you can make your own by finely grinding raw almonds in the food processor.

 Here is the recipe straight from Live Simply:
  • 2½ cups blanched almond flour <I used Bob's Red Mill>
  • 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon good-quality salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 eggs
  • ½ cup honey
  • ¼ cup whole milk yogurt <I used 1/3 cup sour cream>
  • 2-3 very ripe bananas, mashed <I used 3 small-ish bananas>
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
  • ¼ cup chopped walnuts <I omitted the walnuts and used 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips>
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
  2. Grease a loaf pan with butter or coconut oil.
  3. In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients: almond flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda.
  4. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs. Add in the honey, yogurt, mashed bananas, and vanilla. Whisk together until combined.
  5. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined. Fold in the chopped walnuts <or chocolate chips>.
  6. Pour the batter into a loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes <I baked it for 61 minutes, but I checked it at 50 and 56 minutes> until the center is firm.
  7. Allow to cool. Remove from pan.
  8. Slice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment