Sunday, July 23, 2017

Avocado Toast - Jersey Shore Style

Every summer when we go to the shore, I discover a simple dish I feel like I must recreate at home - we always have good eats down the Shore! One year is was the Acai Bowls (I still make them weekly at home); another time it was the Chilled Oatmeal with Yogurt, Berries & Honecomb - yum! This summer I have two Jersey Shore inspired recipes. I'll blog the second later this week, but today I'm blogging the Avocado Toast we ate on repeat at the Surf Snack Shack. The recipe is so simple, but so extra good!

My family is avocado obsessed, I mean OBSESSED people! We must go through at least one a day and sometimes more. My kids tend to want avocado toast for a quick, healthy and satisfying breakfast or as an afternoon snack.  This toast is kicked up a notch by adding red pepper flakes, a little balsamic and capers. Please try it and let me know if you love it as much as we do! It's wonderful when something so simple tastes so delicious! Enjoy!

2 slices of your favorite bread (sourdough, wheat, rye, etc), toasted
1 perfectly ripe avocado, pitted, halved and smashed
1-2 tsp of capers
pinch of red pepper flakes, as little or as much as you like
light drizzle of balsamic vinegar
salt to taste

To assemble:
Drizzle a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar on the toasted bread (if I had to guess I would say 1/2 tsp). Add the smashed, ripe avocado evenly between the two slices of bread. Give each bread a pinch of red pepper flakes. Top each piece with some capers and a pinch of salt. Eat immediately. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment