Saturday, November 30, 2019

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake Mix Cookies


I cannot believe I have never blogged these cookies before! I used to make them for my husband ALL. THE. TIME. when we were first married. Today he said, "Why don't you ever make those cake mix cookies anymore? They are my favorite!" And so I just had to (it was his birthday a few days ago, after all).....

So, my daughter and I hurried off to the grocery and whipped these up in no time. I let the dough rest for a couple of hours in the fridge before rolling and baking them, and I think that resting time really enhanced the flavor and gave them a nice shape once cooked. One of my sons said, "Mom, I think these are my favorite cookies you have ever made!" That made me smile, but, it also felt like a bit of a burn since they aren't really "homemade" and I truly pride myself on making things from scratch! HA! I'm going to just say it was the Mini Reese's Cups that won him over because they are pretty much his favorite sweet in the world!

Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 box of chocolate cake mix (I like Pilsbury's Devil's Food)
1 stick of butter, melted
2 eggs
3/4 cup of peanut butter chips*
1/2 to 1 cup of MINI Reese's PB Cups (you buy them unwrapped and in a bag)**


Melt the butter completely in a microwave safe bowl.

Add half of the cake mix to the melted butter and use a hand mixer to blend. Add the rest of the cake mix and blend. The mix will be crumbly.  Add the eggs, one at a time, and blend with the mixer until smooth. Add the peanut butter chips and blend. Add half of the mini Reese's cups and blend. If you have the time, put the dough in the refrigerator for at least an hour. I chilled my dough today for about four hours.

Roll the dough into decent sized balls - like the size of a golf ball. Press one or two of the extra mini Reese's cups into the top of each cookie dough ball. Flatten slightly so the cookie is more of a disk than a ball.

Bake at 350F for 9 - 10 minutes. Don't overcook.

Let cool on the sheet then transfer them to a platter.

My husband reminded me that he likes to warm each cookie up in the microwave before he eats it - but only for 10 seconds, not longer....just enough to get it gooey. It's really good!

*If you do not want to use peanut butter chips, these would also taste good with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips or even mint chocolate chips (which you can find during the holidays). I think crushed Andes candies would be good, too (and they are allergy friendly).

**If you do not want to use the mini Reese's cups, omit and add an additional 1/4 to 1/2 cup PB chips.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Kelly! Your cookies are so perfectly delicious—soft on the inside and a nice crunch on the outside!

    ReplyDelete