Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Cashew-Gingerbread Milk


I'm totally obsessed with this cashew-gingerbread milk. I found the recipe in the "winter" section of Jolene Hart's book Eat Pretty Every Day (LOVE that book!).  It is slightly sweet from the dates, super creamy from the cashews, and satisfyingly spicy from the mix of ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.

**I made one batch of this "milk" and it lasted me four nights, drinking one cup per night. I stored the extra "milk" in a large mason jar in the fridge. The "milk" is very rich, so I needed to water it down a bit. I poured enough "milk" to fill half a mug and then added purified water to fill to the top. Then I just popped it in the microwave to warm it up.  Oh my goodness, it smells so good....it will warm you right up and fill you up, too. It is enough to replace my nightly dessert craving. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!

Here is the recipe from Jolene Hart's book:

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water to cover for a least 4 hours or overnight, rinsed and drained
  • 2 1/2 cups purified water
  • 2 pitted Medjool dates
  • 4 tsp blackstrap molasses <I used 3tsp>
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • pincch of ground cloves
In a high-powered blender or food processor, combine the cashews, 1/2 cup water, and the dates. Process until no lumps remain, about 2 minutes, pausing frequently to scrap down the sides of the blender jar or work bowl <I never needed to do this - it blended together very well on it's own>.

Add the remaining 2 cups water, the molasses, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves; process until well blended. Transfer to a saucepan and heat gently over low heat until warm. Pour into mugs and serve immediately. **See above for how I store extra "milk"





No comments:

Post a Comment