Yummy, easy to soup to throw together for a quick weeknight meal. I found the recipe on the blog Cooking Closet. Here is the recipe word for word:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- 6 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini
- 1 (8 ounce) jar sundried tomatoes*, drained and 1/2 pureed and 1/2 sliced thinly
- 8 ounces spinach (optionally coarsely chopped)
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes; cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth and cauliflower; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer covered until the cauliflower is tender about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Puree the cauliflower in a blender. <I suggest letting the soup cool completely before you do this. If you don't have time to wait, then you MUST take the plastic piece out of the top of the blender before blending (and cover with a clean dish towel)- this allows for the heat to escape>. Return blended soup to the pot.
- Add the pureed, sliced sundried tomatoes and chopped spinach to the soup. Bring to a simmer and add the tortellini, cook for about 5-7 minutes, until tortellini is cooked.
- Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan. Enjoy!