Sunday, July 26, 2015

Nutty Zucchini Saute


My friend, Gina, over at Hyphenista.com, shared this quick, healthy and scrumptious side dish with me. I've made it quite a few times, without caring about measuring at all, and it always comes out perfect. I have been serving it in place of a side salad.

If you have a spiralizer, this is the perfect time to make zucchini noodles. If not, you can put the zucchini through the food processor with the grater attachment or even use a potato peeler to get zucchini "ribbons". 

Enjoy!

4-6 small zucchini or 3 large zucchini
1/2 c. walnuts, chopped
Fresh ground pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
A couple Tbl of Whole Foods French Vinaigrette OR I make my own (recipe below)

Heat about 1 tsp olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the chopped walnuts and toast for a couple of minutes, careful not to burn.  Cook until nuts are slightly browned.  Set nuts aside.

Shred, spiralize or grate zucchini in a food processor (you are looking for "noodles" or "ribbons").  Heat the same large pan over medium and add another tsp or two of olive oil.  Sprinkle Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt all over the zucchini. I never measure this- just put on what you like to taste. Add pepper to taste (I find the Crazy Mixed Up Salt to have ample amounts of pepper in it, so, I don't add any extra. Again, season to your taste). Saute zucchini ribbons for about 5 minutes. Add french vinaigrette or your own dressing (recipe below). Add the toasted walnuts. Cook for a minute more and serve. 

Simple Vinaigrette

2 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbl apple cider vinegar (or red or white wine vinegar)
1 Tbl lemon juice
1 tsp honey or pure maple syrup

Mix all ingredients together. Done!

Mix with nuts. Serve hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment