Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Seasonal Vegetarian Pot Pie


Oh goodness gracious this veggie pot pie was out of this world delicious!! My mom is here visiting and she loved it....my kids all loved it...my husband loved it so much he had THIRDS (which is most unusual for him)....my son wanted more, but by that point, the pie was gone.....alas, I promised them all I would make it again!!

If you are craving some animal protein, by all means add some cooked chicken - I think it would be amazing!

This recipes come straight from the Kitchenthusiast blog. Here is the recipe verbatim:

Ingredients:

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable broth <I used about 1 1/2 cups broth>
1 large sized sweet potato, peeled and chopped <I used a regular baking potato instead>
1 large sized carrot, peeled and chopped
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced <I used baby bellos>
1 large leek, tender white and light green parts only, sliced thin
Salt and pepper to taste
2 to 3 cups kale, chopped <about 3 large leaves>
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 to 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon mascarpone <I used ricotta>
2 frozen puff pastry sheets, defrosted
1 egg + 1 teaspoon water, beaten for egg wash

DIRECTIONS

 

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Using a large sized saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms and leeks. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Add the kale in for the last 5 minutes only.

Meanwhile, using a small bowl, whisk together the milk and flour until there are no lumps. After the vegetables are tender, slowly pour in the flour mixture to the pan, stirring until everything thickens.
Season with a little more salt and pepper, remove from the heat and mix in the Dijon mustard and mascarpone. Taste and adjust any ingredients as needed.

Lay one defrosted puff pastry sheet into a 9X13 dish <I rolled the sheets of pastry out with a rolling pin a little to fit my dish>. Pour the vegetable filling into the dish, onto the puff pastry sheet and cover with the second puff pastry sheet, trimming off any excess and piercing the puff pastry dough on top to allow steam to escape while baking.

Using a pastry brush, brush on the egg wash over the top of the pot pie and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment