Friday, April 25, 2014

Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie (Healthy Make-Over!)


I'm sure many of you have made or eaten Betty Crocker's Impossibly Easy Cheesburger Pie recipe....it's a classic! Well, I was recently talking to my gym-buddy, Meredith, about this meal. She shared with me that she packs it full with spinach and veggies. She then said her children love it and beg for more every time she makes it. So, of course I had to try it out for my own family.

As I looked at the original recipe online, I noticed that there wasn't much too it (I mean ingredient-wise)....I also noticed there wasn't much nutrition-wise either (ground beef, onions, cheese, milk, eggs, Bisquick)...Hmmm....no wonder Meredith adds veggies to her recipe!  This basic recipe was just dying for a Wooden Spoon Diaries healthy make-over!

The spinach was a must....it gives the pie some color (not to mention fiber) and it's flavor is easily masked by the rest of the ingredients (great for picky kids). I thought I would try a grated sweet potato, as well. When I think of a cheeseburger, I think of french fries....so, instead of a white starchy potato, I used a vitamin C packed sweet potato. And then of course, the sliced tomatoes on top, just like you would top a regular cheeseburger. The flavors all blended perfectly!! This dish was a family hit!!! My husband ate three pieces!! YAY!!!!! Hope you like it as much as we did!!

1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
1 pound lean ground turkey
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
1 small sweet potato, peeled and grated on a cheese grater (approx 1 cup)
2 heaping handfuls of fresh spinach, chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
1 large tomato, thinly sliced (optional) 
1/2 cup original Bisquick
1 cup low-fat milk
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 400F

Add oil to a large oven-safe skillet on medium heat. Add diced onions to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes. Add the ground turkey. As turkey cooks, use a Mix n Chop (my FAVE kitchen tool) or the back of a spatula to break the meat into tiny pieces. Once turkey is cooked, add salt and the Worcestershire sauce; stir to combine. Add the grated sweet potato; stir to combine. Cook for another 3 minutes. Add the chopped spinach to the top of the turkey mixture. Let that cook, untouched, for a couple minutes. Once the spinach has wilted, stir to combine with the other ingredients. Remove skillet from heat. **If you do not have an oven-safe skillet, you can put the turkey mixture into a 9 inch pie pan. The proceed with the rest of the directions.

Sprinkle shredded cheddar evenly on the top of the turkey mixture. Arrange the sliced tomatoes, if using.

Whisk Bisquick, milk and eggs together until smooth. Pour evenly over the top of the cheese and tomatoes.

Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. A knife inserted into the pie should come out clean. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5-7 minutes before serving (if you don't let it cool a bit, the slices won't hold together). Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment