Sunday, June 17, 2012

Salsa Verde Chicken with Herbed Cornmeal Dumplings


This meal was downright delicious! As soon as we finished eating, my son asked me when I was going to make it again. And the following day, he asked me again when I was going to make that "fluffy biscuit-y soup"....I must say that I share his enthusiasm for this stew. As I was making it, I kept eating it....just eating spoonful after spoonful...it was so delicious even without the dumplings! I was afraid there wasn't going to be any left by the time dinner rolled around! Thankfully, I controlled myself and put the spoon away and we all had our fill. This meal is a keeper and I will make it again and again (especially in the colder months). I found it on the blog Savory Sweet Life. Here is the recipe word for word:

Chicken Stew:
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
1 jar (15 ounces) salsa verde (2 cups)
1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
1 large rotisserie chicken, meat deboned and left in large chunks (about 6 cups)

Dumplings:
1 cup whole milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion greens
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS:
Chicken:  Heat butter over medium-high heat in a large (11 – 12 inch), deep ovenproof skillet or 5-6 quart Dutch oven.  Whisk in flour to make a paste.  Mix broth, salsa verde, and evaporated milk and whisk in all at once.  Whisk, vigorously at first, until mixture simmers and thickens to sauce consistency.  Stir in chicken, heat through, and cover to keep warm. 

Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
Dumplings: Heat milk and butter in a small saucepan until steamy.  Mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, scallions, and cilantro in a medium bowl with a fork.  Stir in milk mixture to form a smooth, firm dough.  Pinch off Ping-Pong-ball-size peices of dough with your fingers and drop onto chicken mixture.  Return chicken to a simmer over medium-high heat.  Cover and transfer pan to oven and bake until dumplings are cooked through, 20 minutes.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment