Saturday, July 13, 2013

Raw Red Bell Pepper Dip/Dressing

I have been reading (and loving) the book The Beauty Foods Detox by Kimberly Snyder. Kimberly is a firm believer in eating raw, whole foods that nourish your body from the inside out. Her book has lots of raw, vegan recipes that are delicious! This raw red bell pepper dip is no exception (it's true title is Raw Muhammara Dip - but, since I don't even know how to pronounce that, I thought I'd give it a more basic name- HA!). My husband and I ate this for dinner tonight, but, I think it would be a wonderful appetizer to serve at a party. It can also be used as a salad dressing.

*A note on nutritional yeast.....please do not confuse nutritional yeast with yeast that is used to make bread rise! Nutritional yeast is a dietary powerhouse!!! It is a complete protein (containing 18 amino acids) and is full of minerals, like zinc and magnesium. It is also a fabulous source of B-complex vitamins and is high in fiber. I actually love the taste of nutritional yeast; I often sprinkle it on my air-popped popcorn! Nutritional yeast is easily found at Whole Foods or other health food stores.

**If you are curious about the chips in my photo, they are Food Should Taste Good's Multigrain Tortilla Chips. They are absolutely delicious; my family's favorite brand.

3 red bell peppers
1 cup raw walnuts, soaked for 15 minutes in water (drain water completely before adding walnuts)
1 medium garlic clove, peeled
2 Tbl nutritional yeast* <see my note on nutritional yeast above>
3/4 tsp high-quality sea salt
1 Tbl fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp powdered stevia <I only used the tiniest pinch of stevia and found it plenty>
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp cumin

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning, as desired, and serve with raw veggies and pita chips or use as a salad dressing. Enjoy!


1 comment: