Monday, August 12, 2013

Heath(ier) Almond Joy Cookies


I LOVE these cookies; no, seriously, LOVE THEM! I do happen to have a coconut obsession, as well as an almond obsession.....and I do love me some healthy eats! So, when I saw this cookie recipe on My Whole Food Life I was immediately smitten. They are crumbly and yummy and I don't feel quite so guilty eating three of them at once. A glass of milk is recommended. Enjoy!!!

1 1/2 cup oat flour <I found oat flour at Whole Foods>
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut <I used sweetened coconut because it was all I had>
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 egg OR flax egg replacer
1/2 dark chocolate bar roughly chopped


Preheat oven to 350. Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl. (You can actually grind up some rolled oats to make oat flour). In a saucepan on med heat, combine the almond butter, coconut oil and maple syrup and stir until smooth. Let mixture cool. Once it’s cooled add it to the dry ingredients and also add the vanilla, egg and almond extract. Once everything is well combined, fold in the dark chocolate. Drop cookies onto a greased baking sheet <I pressed my cookie balls into a flat-ish shape because these cookies do not flatten as they bake>. Bake for about 12 minutes. I got about 12 good sized cookies out of my batch. Store them in a jar if they will be eaten quickly. For longer storage, keep them in the fridge or even freeze them.

No comments:

Post a Comment