Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Raw Zucchini Spaghetti with Roasted Tomatoes and Pistachio Pesto

A new (delicious) world of health has just opened up for me....and the gadget that's taking me there is called a "spiralizer" - this amazing tool has just rocked my world!!! It turns a humble zucchini into a giant pile of "noodles". Zucchini noodles have an extremely mild flavor with a bit of a crunch. Because zucchini noodles are so mild, they pair well with any type of sauce, pesto or dressing you can cover them in.  This recipe is very refreshing, yummy, and left me feeling satisfied, but not one bit "full" or "heavy." You do not need to cook the zucchini noodles, so, not only are you saving gobs of calories by replacing them for regular pasta, but, you are also reaping the health benefits of eating this enzyme-laden veggie raw (oh! and let's not forget the time saved - no waiting on the water to boil and the pasta to cook)!!

I am starting a new category on my blog called "Spiralized" - I plan on trying many more recipes using my spiralizer, so, keep checking back for more!!

If you are considering buying a spiralizer, click here to view the one I purchased. This piece of equipment was inexpensive, extremely easy to use, and the clean up was a complete breeze!!

The following recipe comes straight from the blog Shared Appetite:
  • 1 Zucchini
  • 1 Summer Squash <I did not use summer squash; I used two zucchinis instead>
  • 3 cups cherry tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
  • 1 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup roasted pistachios
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling cherry tomatoes
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • <I also added about 1/4 cup freshly shredded Parmesan>

Using a spiralizer, create your spaghetti strands from the zucchini and summer squash <I only used zucchini>. Alternatively, lay a box grater on its side, with the biggest holes facing up. Move your zucchini and summer squash lengthwise across the box grater to create long ribbons. 

Preheat oven to 400°F. On a foil-lined baking sheet, drizzle cherry tomatoes with a little olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast for about 10-15 minutes, until the tomatoes have wrinkled and collapsed slightly. 

In a food processor or blender, combine the basil, parsley, garlic, and roasted pistachios until coarsely chopped. Drizzle in olive oil and process until fully combined. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. If the pesto is too thick, add a little more olive oil <I added about a tsp of lemon juice> until the desired consistency is reached. 

In a bowl, combine the zucchini spaghetti, roasted tomatoes (and any juice that may have spilled out onto the baking sheet during the roasting process), and pistachio pesto. Garnish with extra chopped pistachio and/or basil if desired. <I added freshly shredded Parmesan>

No comments:

Post a Comment