Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Texas Barbeque Bean Soup


My husband is a huge chili lover. I have to admit, it isn’t my favorite dinner on earth, but, I make it for him because it makes him very happy! He absolutely LOVED this BBQ Bean Soup- which is really just another name of BBQ Bean Chili. It has those same smokey flavors, but, with a unique twist- BBQ sauce!! I have never put BBQ sauce in chili before, so, when I saw this as an ingredient, I had to try it out. He gave it rave, rave reviews and told me I had to blog it.

**Of course, mine, like the original recipe from the Moosewood Restaurant Favorites cookbook (this was an awesome Christmas present) was meatless. But, I think you could easily add a 1/2 lb of ground beef or turkey to the pot and cook before you add the onions. You could also add rotisserie chicken before serving satisfy the meat-lovers in your family. Enjoy!

2 Tbl olive oil
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup diced celery
1 tsp salt
1 large red or green bell pepper, seeded and diced (I used red)
2 Tbl chipotle peppers in adobo sauce or 1 fresh jalapeno, minced (I used the jalapeno)
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups water
1 15oz can diced tomatoes (I used petite fire-roasted)
2 15 oz cans beans (you can use whatever beans you like best, I used black)
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels (I omitted this)
1/3 cup BBQ sauce

**See note above if you want to add meat to this soup

***For topping ideas see note below

Warm the oil in a covered soup pot on low heat. Add the onions, celery, garlic and salt and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft. Add the bell peppers, chipotles (or jalapeno), oregano, thyme, cumin, and black pepper and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the water and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Add the beans, corn, and BBQ sauce, bring back to a simmer and cook for at least 10 minutes.

***I served this chili with cashew cream sauce (click here for the vegan sour cream substitute recipe which my husband and I think is far better than real sour cream), grated cheddar cheese, sliced green onions and homemade cornbread. Other toppings include sour cream, diced avocado and crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment