This was a quick, tasty pasta dish that took very little time to bring together. Great meal for a weeknight dinner. The whole family liked it!
Here is the recipe from Cooking Light Magazine:
- 8 ounces uncooked multigrain penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (1-inch) diagonally cut asparagus
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed <I used 8 oz!!! HA!>
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 4 minutes. Combine 1/4 cup milk and flour; stir with a whisk. Add flour mixture, 1 1/2 cups milk, salt, pepper, and hearts of palm to pan; bring to a simmer. Add asparagus; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add Parmesan; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in pasta and mozzarella.