This sandwich was inspired by one I've eaten many times at my favorite sandwich shop at the Jersey Shore. The creamy brie paired with the tart, crunchy apple and the savory turkey make for a delicious combination. Add the fig jam and you've just taken it up a notch! Put it in the panini press you just hit it out of the ball park! Yum!! I served this sandwich with a cup of soup and a fruit salad. Enjoy!
- 4 slices sandwich bread - I used fresh Sourdough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tbl fig jam (sub out fig jam for sliced fresh figs, apricot preserves or even honey!)
- 6 to 8 ounce (weight) brie cheese (rind removed - put brie in the freezer for 20 minutes before slicing off rind- this "firms up" the brie a bit and makes it easier to cut)
- 1 granny smith apple, sliced VERY thin (you can use another tart apple instead, like Jazz)
- Sliced turkey breast (I used pepper turkey from the deli counter)
- Salt and pepper to taste
On a cutting board lay out your sandwich bread and lightly brush the outsides with olive oil. On the inside of one piece of bread, spread 1 Tbl of fig jam. Repeat with the other slice of bread. Cut the brie into thin slices. Place one layer of brie slices on one piece of the bread.